This is a tasty basic cake that has many uses – in a trifle, lunch boxes, as muffins, party food and even for breakfast.
Cuts into 16 slices, or makes 16 muffins
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oil, canola, macadamia or avocado
- 190ml (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, preferably omega-3 rich
- 60ml (4 tbsp) skimmed milk
- 1 apple, grated finely (with or without skin)
- 3 ripe medium bananas
- 295ml (1 cup + 3 tbsp) cake flour
- 10ml ( 2 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 125ml (1/2 cup) oat bran
- 125ml (1/2 cup) ProNutro, whole-wheat, original or apple bake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a bread pan (10cm x 20xm).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs and milk and beat well.
- Grate the apple, mash bananas with a fork and add to the oil and sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the oat bran and ProNutro and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the fruit and egg mixture.
- Mix throughly, using a wooden spoon. Do not overmix, but make sure that all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon into the greased bread pan.
- Bake for 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10-15 minutes before turning the loaf out. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make banana peanut butter muffins, spoon a little batter into each individual muffin cup, add a small blob of peanut butter (1/2 t), then spoon more dough on top, to make it almost full. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Leftover banana bread can be used to make trifle.
- Overmixing any cake batter increases the digestibility of the cake, which in turn increases the absorption rate of glucose or GI.
- Please note that the GL per slice of cake is 14, so make sure that you slice the banana bread thinly and eat not more than one thin slice.
- This is a very moist cake and does not need any buttering.
- The peanut butter muffins will be higher in fat than the loaf because of the added peanut butter. Peanut butter is a monounsaturated fat, however, which is a healthier choice of fat (2g fat more per muffin).
Nutritional Information Per Slice
GI lower 61