Nutritionist Kathleen Farren presents Patrick Holford’s zest4life nutrition & weightloss programmes at Bodysmart HYPOXI & Power Plate Dubai, Umm Suqeim branch. Here she shares a 7 day challenge to boost your weight loss results. The programme is great to combine with HYPOXI and we always encourage healthy eating to enhance your results. If 7 days feels too much, why not try it for 3 days?
Patrick Holford says: ‘By week 5 of following a zest4life programme, our clients really benefit from being set a new challenge to boost weight loss and increase energy and vitality. If you are following this for health reasons, rather than weight loss, stick to the principles but increase your intake of good quality starchy carbs (60 GL per day). There are a few simple rules you have to follow which reduce your GLs for a controlled 7 day period and require you to adhere closely to the zest4life rules. Make sure it is a week where you have more control over your food choices.’
Firstly, decide when you will be able to take this challenge and stick to the date.
- Eat regularly – 5 small meals per day , every 3 hours
- Drink 8 glasses of filtered or bottled water every day
- Take at least 15 minutes extra gentle exercise each day
- Sit quietly and relax for 10-15 minutes minimum, every day
- Eat plenty of non-starchy veg (e.g. green veg) and unlimited salad veg
- Eat oily fish: e.g salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna, 2-3 times during the week and white fish as often as you like.
- Avoid tea & coffee or restrict to 4 times during the week. If you currently drink more than 1 cup of coffee a day reduce slowly to avoid caffeine withdrawal headaches.
- Eat up to 25g to 50g nuts / seeds per day
- Eat a maximum of 2 portions of low GL fruit per day. Choose from: apples, pears, apricots or melon.
- Take the recommended supplements each day including: multivitamin & mineral, vitamin C
- Make sure you get a minimum of 7 hours sleep per night (or more if you need it).
- Drink alcohol (or limit to a maximum of 2 units during the week)
- Eat chocolate/sugar. You can use xylitol instead
- Eat wheat (e.g. bread, pasta). You can eat a maximum of 2 oatcakes per day instead
- Eat potatoes, parsnips or carrots. You can eat 1 portion of brown rice or butternut squash instead
- Eat any dairy products – cheese, yoghurt, cream and milk – other than a small amount of milk in tea
- Eat any red meat
Choose from these breakfasts:
- Low Carb Co Granola / Home made low GL muesli / Porridge with soya or nut milk.
- Berries with soya yogurt and toasted almonds
- 2 scrambled or poached eggs & 2 grilled tomatoes
- A handful of toasted nuts and seeds and a large slice of water melon
Choose from the following snacks:
- Fruit: apples, pears, berries or watermelon – 1 portion
- 25g seeds or nuts (unsalted)
- 1 small mixed salad with lemon and olive oil dressing
- Crudites with: houmous / guacamole / tomato salsa
- ½ an avocado
- Serve 1 portion of good quality fish / chicken / vegetarian protein with a large serving of any non-starchy vegetables and / or a mixed salad. Dress with herbs, olive oil, lemon and garlic.
- Have 1 small serving of roasted butternut squash, brown basmati rice or quinoa with either main meal (1 x per day).
- Choose soups made from non-starchy vegetable and pulses and serve with 2 oatcakes.
It is essential to get organized if you really want this to work! Plan your meals and snacks in advance!
Remember – the closer you stick to these rules for 7 days – the better the results!